Cards of the interior. Paper-making and relief-print workshop
In this workshop each participant will be given the skills to make handmade cotton paper through the ancient manufacturing process and will investigate 3 different techniques:
– a black sheet made with embossing
– a white sheet with an original watermark made by the participant
– a white sheet with a red woodcut that each student will design, carve and print
This workshop is dedicated to paper making through some of the typical languages and media used: the paper as a container of stories, as a cradle for our emotions and confessions, in an experience that will not only be focused on the techniques but also to the exploration of intimate and mysterious areas of our inner selves.
We will play in this journey of our inner part by metaphorically riding three horses, a black one called Nigredo, a white one called Albedo and a red one called Rubedo.
They possess the fundamental laws of the 3 alchemical inner path we will discover during this experience and that we will use to create our hand-made paper.
You will make a black paper to talk about Nigredo: a inner path linked to the self-reflection and destruction of all the masks that hide our psyche in the darkness and that prevent us from living our essence.
A “tactile” image created with the use of pressure or through dot-making will tell the story of black paper.
A white paper will be for Albedo. This is the inner path in which the individual lets the previously destroyed parts dissolve and leaves room for a new awareness of themselves. A new something begins to emerge that is as delicate as an image seen against light. We will use for this inner path a white paper made with watermarks.
A white paper printed in red is for Albedo: the passage connected to light and fire. Here, the individual no longer experiences the separation between themselves and the other, because they understand that inside them is the same source of life that connects us to the universe.
- This workshop is suitable for beginners and those with some experience
- Language: English-Italian
- 2 1/2 day workshop 4-7 July 2019
- Location: Castle of Montefiore
- Timetable: 10-13 / 14-19
- Cost: Euro 250 (concessions: students and under 26, euro 220)
- Materials and tools necessary for the workshops are included in the cost of the course and will be provided for each participant.
- Participants are advised to bring your own drawing set, and clothing suitable for work in comfort, dirty, etc.
- Usually at lunch time we eat together in the park nearby the castle. Everyone brings their own food; water and wine are always available for everyone.
- A certificate of attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
- There is a limit of 10 places per workshop
- 5 participants are needed for the course to operate
- If the course has insufficient participants to run, those already enrolled will receive a full refund of the amount they paid at registration.
- Participants who have registered but find they can no longer attend will be refunded half the registration fee providing they notify us at least 20 days before the course commences.
- Early registration is recommended in order to secure not only a place on the course but also accommodation in Montefiore Conca.