Breathing Life into the Page. Experimental workshop of Japanese printmaking and animation
Printmaking, in the most straightforward sense, involves making a matrix from which many images can be printed. It is relatively simple to make multiples which resemble each other, but which are not identical. It is also possible to alter the matrix while printing in order to transform and evolve the print. There are many ways of changing an image, for example, by using different ways of printing it, or by printing the image in different places across the page, or by changing the matrix and making a print each time it is changed. When all the different prints are layered up and shown sequentially, with a flip-book or in a computer programme, suddenly they come to life.
In this three day experimental workshop, we will use stop-frame animation to explore breathing life into our printed images. We will work with Japanese vinyl and letterpress to create relief prints and monoprints, and make basic stop frame animations. Come prepared to enjoy learning experimental ways of inking and printing a plate, and ready to make dozens of prints which will come to life!
- This workshop is suitable for beginners and those with some experience
- Language: English-Italian
- 3 day workshop 6-8 July 2017
- Location: Castle of Montefiore
- Timetable: 10-13 / 14-17
- Cost: Euro 175 (concessions: students and under 26, euro 150)
- Materials and tools necessary for the workshops are included in the cost of the course and will be provided for each participant.
- Participants are advised to bring your own set for design and clothing suitable for work in comfort, dirty, etc.
- Usually at lunch time we eat together in the park nearby the castle. Everyone brings their own food.
- A certificate of attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
- There is a limit of 10 places per workshop
- 5 participants are needed for the course to operate
- If the course has insufficient participants to run, those already enrolled will receive a full refund of the amount they paid at registration.
- Participants who have registered but find they can no longer attend will be refunded half the registration fee providing they notify us at least 20 days before the course commences.
- Early registration is recommended in order to secure not only a place on the course but also accommodation in Montefiore Conca.